BCS: Kofi Kyei – Athlete Highlight
ZWIFT COMMUNITY

BCS: Kofi Kyei – Athlete Highlight

ON September 14, 2021 by alyssa.henning@zwift.com

What are the current barriers to cycling for BIPOC now? And what steps are needed to break those down?
Kofi: I think representation and also awareness is part of it. I also think there’s an element of cost that’s involved. If you’re going to go get a Wahoo KickR straight off the bat, that’s not inexpensive. So I think that might have an element to excluding younger riders who are wanting to get into it. But if we’re talking about riding outside, then I definitely think that representation is a big part of that. And feeling included or as if you could go out as a group or whatever is a part of it. And if you have a good experience when you’re exposed to cycling at any point, it can lead to your aspirations changing. You’ll be more inclined to take it further and set higher and higher challenges for yourself. If you can start changing people’s aspirations from a young age, there’s no limit to the potential that they may be able to achieve.

In your own words, what does “We, not me” mean to you?
Kofi: So to me, We Not Me, is really about the idea that you’re part of a bigger community. It’s about being a global citizen. It’s about trying to look after more than just yourself.