Pride On: Shanaze Reade Athlete Highlight
ZWIFT COMMUNITY

Pride On: Shanaze Reade Athlete Highlight

ON May 25, 2021 by alyssa.henning@zwift.com

Last year, Zwift showcased the progress flag for Pride Month. What does the progress flag mean to you?
The flag represents true equality. Trans people and people of colour now have a flag that is more representative of them.

What is the greatest challenge LGBTQIA+ athletes face today?
I think from personal experience, it’s fear of not fitting in and what others will think of you. No one likes to be an outcast. This is why I’m so passionate about embracing my sexuality. There is no shame. Love simply is love, regardless of who you are with.

What is your favorite way to give back to your community?
My favourite way is to support more campaigns like this and to speak openly and honestly.

Is there an athlete that mentored you? What did they do? How did it help you?
I have had many mentors in my life, the first being my granddad. He helped and continues to help me in many ways. He is really good at listening and understanding what I’m trying to say. The biggest thing he gave to me was self-belief. He always encouraged me to be and do exactly what I wanted to do in life.

When I came out as gay, I feared he wouldn’t approve. I was very wrong. He was super happy for me.

What’s an important lesson you’ve learned as a professional athlete?
That the goalpost moves and nothing is certain in life. You have to be prepared to adapt to your surroundings.

What’s the song, artist, or band that gets you pumped up for a ride/run?
I love all music! You never find me training without the music blasting! It makes my soul come alive.

What would you tell your younger self?
To always follow your dreams.

Authenticity is a buzzword right now. What does that word mean to you?
Being real! Not following the crowd.